Raymond L. Smith
Inducted August 3, 1985
Raymond L. Smith became president at Michigan Tech in 1965 and served in that position for 14 years, until his retirement in 1979. During that time, he was instrumental in expanding and improving Michigan Tech athletics and its facilities. Smith was the driving force behind the construction of the Student Ice Arena, Student Development Complex, Gates Tennis Center, and Michigan Tech Stadium. His efforts have not only benefitted Husky athletics, but the entire intramural and physical education programs at the University.
Smith was born in Vanceboro, Maine, and attended the University of Alaska, where he received his bachelor's degree in mining engineering in 1943. After teaching at the University of Alaska for three years, Smith and his wife, Beatrice, moved on to the University of Pennsylvania, where he received his Ph.D. in metallurgical engineering in 1953.
Upon completion of his degree at Pennsylvania, he went on to the Franklin Institue of Research in Philadelphia and , by 1958, he was acting technical director of the laboratories there. That same year, during a speaking engagement at Michigan Tech, Smith fell in love with the Keweenaw area, and, one year later, took over as department head of metallurgical engineering at Tech. Under his leadership, the program grew to be one fo the finest in the nation.