No events to show.

Huskies, Badgers Skate to 1-1 Tie in Madison

Photo by Dale Steenberg.
Photo by Dale Steenberg.

MADISON, Wis. — Michigan Tech and Wisconsin played to a 1-1 overtime draw at the Kohl Center tonight in WCHA action. The Huskies scored with 11:18 to play in the third period but surrendered a power-play goal with 3:11 to go. Both teams registered 31 shots on net in an evenly played game.

Tech was playing a bit shorthanded with five of their regulars out of the lineup with injury (Dan Sova, Justin Fillion, Chad Pietila, David Johnstone and Tanner Kero). Four of the players were either out or questionable heading into the series. Kero made the trip to Madison, but wound up in the hospital for an emergency appendectomy.

"It was a gutsy effort by our guys," said head coach Mel Pearson. "They played extremely well, especially considering they saw one of their teammates head off to the hospital earlier."

Senior Kevin Genoe started in net for the Huskies (4-8-2, 3-6-2 WCHA) and made 30 saves including four in overtime to help the visitors earn a valuable point in the league standings.

His counterpart, Landon Peterson, also made 30 saves. The Badgers' netminder also got help from the right goal post, which was hit three times by Tech players in the contest.

Steven Seigo rang the post five minutes into the game. Jujhar Khaira hit the same post minutes later. Khaira just missed the net on another scoring opportunity in the first period and clanked the post off a draw in the second.

Wisconsin seized momentum for a stretch in the third period put could not solve Genoe, who played what Coach Pearson called his best game of the season.

A UW turnover in their own end led to the game's first goal as Milos Gordic found Blake Pietila out in front for a tap in at the 8:42 mark. The Huskies continued to apply pressure with the 1-0 lead, but Khaira was whistled for holding at 15:51.

The Badgers scored one minute into their power play as a loose puck in the crease was jabbed under Genoe and trickled across the goal line.

Wisconsin put four shots on net to the Huskies' three in an entertaining overtime session that left the 8,756 home fans unsatisfied.

"We would have liked to held on to that lead," said Pearson. "It was a tough penalty to take, but we have to learn from that and eliminate it going forward.

"Overall, there were a lot of positives to take away from tonight."

Tech posted six shots on two power plays but could not convert. UW was 1-for-4 on the man advantage.

The teams will wrap up the two-game series tomorrow at 7:07 p.m. (ET).

Notes: Tech is 2-0-1 in its last three games vs. Wisconsin, all of which have gone to overtime … Pietila's goal was his team-leading ninth of the season … Gordic's assist was his first point since Oct. 13 vs. Lake Superior State.