HILTON HEAD, S.C. – The Michigan Tech men's tennis team fell to Chowan University 9-0 on the final day of the spring break trip to Hilton Head, South Carolina Thursday. The Huskies closed the week with a 1-3 record to kick off the 2017 spring schedule.
Mario Neto challenged Adi Kaliakperov in the No. 1 singles spot in the order and fell short 6-0, 6-4. After a rough start, Neto battled back in the second set to nearly force a third game. Kaliakperov held on in the second to take the point for Chowan (5-5). Jacob Prochnow battled Enrique Barge in the No. 6 spot and came up just short 6-3, 6-2. Unfortunately, the Huskies weren't able to solve Chowan's lineup on Thursday.
Michigan Tech will be back on the court Saturday March 18th when they host Walsh University in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference opener. The first serve is slated for 10 a.m.
The full results are listed below.
Chowan 9, Michigan Tech 0
3/9/2017 at Hilton Head, SC
1. KALIAKPEROV,Adi (CU-B) def. Mario Neto (MTM) 6-0, 6-4
2. HAJIZADA,Farid (CU-B) def. Juan Felipe Chica (MTM) 6-2, 6-2
3. IZYCKI,Mateusz (CU-B) def. Ricardo Paes (MTM) 6-2, 6-1
4. YEH,Mariano (CU-B) def. Illiya Chibirev (MTM) 6-1, 6-2
5. GONCALVES,Rafael (CU-B) def. Tayler Bethke (MTM) 6-1, 6-1
6. BARGE,Enrique (CU-B) def. Jacob Prochnow (MTM) 6-3, 6-2