HOUHGTON, Mich. – The Michigan Tech men's tennis team suffered a 9-0 Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference loss on Saturday to Grand Valley State University at the Gates Tennis Center. The Huskies were unable to slow down the Lakers who swept all the points in Saturday's match.
Illiya Chibirev and Tayler Bethke turned in the top performance in doubles for Michigan Tech (1-8, 0-5 GLIAC) by keeping pace with Nicholas Urban and Jack Geissler of Grand Valley State (13-6, 3-1 GLIAC) for most of the contest. However, Urban/Geissler were able to hold on for an 8-4 victory in the No.3 doubles spot in Saturday's lineup.
In singles competition, the Huskies were led by Ricardo Paes in the No .3 slot in the lineup. Paes battled Geissler through two sets before falling 6-4, 6-3. Illiya Chibirev and Mario Neto kept things close in the second sets of their singles contests, but each player fell 6-1, 6-3 to the Lakers.
Michigan Tech will wrap up the home portion of the 2017 schedule Sunday morning against Ferris State at the Gates Tennis Center beginning at 10 a.m.
The complete results are listed below.
Grand Valley State 9, Michigan Tech 0
Apr 01, 2017 at Houghton, Mich. (Gates Tennis Center)
1. Sebastien Lescoulie (GV-M) def. Mario Neto (MTM) 6-1, 6-3
2. Zach Phillps (GV-M) def. Juan Felipe Chica (MTM) 6-1, 6-2
3. Jack Geissler (GV-M) def. Ricardo Paes (MTM) 6-4, 6-3
4. Alex vande Steenoven (GV-M) def. Illiya Chibirev (MTM) 6-1, 6-3
5. Jack Heiniger (GV-M) def. Tayler Bethke (MTM) 6-0, 6-1
6. Nicholas Urban (GV-M) def. Jacob Prochnow (MTM) 6-0, 6-1
Grand Valley State 13-6, 3-1 GLIAC
Michigan Tech 1-8, 0-5 GLIAC