MIDLAND, Mich. – The Michigan Tech men's tennis team closed the weekend and the 2017 season on Saturday, falling at Northwood 9-0 in a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference match.
Northwood (9-9, 5-3 GLIAC) stormed out of the gate with three straight 8-1 wins in the doubles portion of the contest to take a 3-0 lead going into singles play. Michigan Tech (1-12, 0-9 GLIAC) looked to regroup, starting with a No. 1 singles matchup between Mario Neto and Austin Woody. Neto stayed stride for stride with his opponent in both sets, but fell 6-3, 6-3 in each.
Tech's Ricardo Paes battled David Reinauer in the No. 3 spot of the lineup on Saturday. Reinauer cruised to a 6-0 win in set one, but Paes regrouped during the break and nearly forced a tiebreaker with a strong set two performance. Reinauer ended up holding on for a 7-5 decision over Paes to secure the point for the Timberwolves, who went on for the 9-0 match win.
The complete results of Saturday's GLIAC match can be viewed below.
Northwood 9, Michigan Tech 0
Apr 15, 2017 at Midland, Mich. (Greater Midland Tennis Center)
1. Austin Woody (NU) def. Mario Neto (MTM) 6-3, 6-3
2. Kobus Sauerman (NU) def. Juan Felipe Chica (MTM) 6-1, 6-0
3. David Reinauer (NU) def. Ricardo Paes (MTM) 6-0, 7-5
4. Lorenz Bialkowski (NU) def. Illiya Chibirev (MTM) 6-0, 6-2
5. Ivan Medvynskyi (NU) def. Tayler Bethke (MTM) 6-2, 6-0
6. Hayden Drury (NU) def. Jacob Prochnow (MTM) 6-1, 6-0
Michigan Tech 1-12, 0-9 GLIAC
Northwood 9-9, 5-3 GLIAC