MIDLAND, Mich. – The Michigan Tech men's tennis team wrapped up the opening weekend of Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference play on Sunday with a 9-0 loss at Northwood University. The Huskies faced tough competition in each of the three matches after taking on Grand Valley State on Friday and Ferris State on Saturday.
Michigan Tech (0-7, 0-3 GLIAC) had a strong performance in No. 1 doubles on Sunday with Mario Neto and Ignacio Carbajosa challenging Mikhail Fomenkov and Kobus Sauerman of Northwood (10-1, 2-0 GLIAC). Neto and Carbajosa ended up falling 8-4, but they didn't make things easy for the Timberwolves.
Northwood ended up claiming all three points in doubles and the six points in singles as well. Caviglia though held his own in No. 2 singles for the Huskies, staying with Kobus Sauerman who held that spot in the lineup for the Timberwolves. Caviglia made Sauerman earn every point in what turned out to be a 6-3, 6-3 decision. Simon Xiong played well on Sunday in his matchup in the No. 4 spot with Francois Sauerman. Xiong also stayed on his opponents heels before Sauerman pulled away for a 6-2, 6-3 win.
The Huskies will return to Houghton on Saturday for the first of three straight home contests. Tech will battle Lake Superior State in the home opener at 10 a.m. this coming Saturday before facing Purdue Northwest April 7th and Davenport April 8th to close out the home stand.
Northwood 9, Michigan Tech 0
Mar 25, 2018 at Midland, Mich. (Greater Midland Tennis Center)
1. Mikhail Fomenkov (NU) def. Mario Neto (MTUM) 6-2, 3-0, retired
2. Kobus Sauerman (NU) def. Nico Caviglia (MTUM) 6-3, 6-3
3. David Reinauer (NU) def. Ignacio Carbajosa (MTUM) 6-1, 6-2
4. Francois Sauerman (NU) def. Simon Xiong (MTUM) 6-2, 6-3
5. Ben Brandherm (NU) def. Juan Felipe Chica (MTUM) 6-1, 6-1
6. Pablo Salamanca (NU) def. Illiya Chibirev (MTUM) retired
1. Mikhail Fomenkov/Kobus Sauerman (NU) def. Mario Neto/Ignacio Carbajosa (MTUM) 8-4
2. David Reinauer/Francois Sauerman (NU) def. Nico Caviglia/Simon Xiong (MTUM) 8-1
3. Ben Brandherm/Pablo Salamanca (NU) def. Juan Felipe Chica/Illiya Chibirev (MTUM) 8-2
Michigan Tech 0-7, 0-3 GLIAC
Northwood 10-1, 2-0 GLIAC