Strong Defense and First Half Goal Power Huskies to 5th Straight Win

HOUGHTON, Mich. – The Michigan Tech soccer team opened up the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference schedule with a 1-0 victory over Ferris St. Friday night at Sherman Field. It was the fifth straight win for the Huskies, with all five outcomes being decided by one goal.

"This was a really good team effort for us tonight," Michigan Tech Head Coach Michelle Jacob said. "Ferris St. really came at us hard for the entire game and we had to work really hard to get the victory. Especially during the last 15-20 minutes, we did a really good job of controlling the game and keeping possession of the ball. Jaci (Mielke) had a beautiful goal for us and overall it was a great team effort. We subbed a lot of players in and our team worked hard. I'm proud of our team for getting this win against a very good opponent."

Ferris St. (2-5, 0-1 GLIAC) went on the attack shortly after the opening kickoff and unloaded the first two shots of the night within the first 10 minutes. Audrey Romine had the first good look at the net for either side, but was denied on her attempt by Michigan Tech goalie Kirsen Hudak.

Senior forward Jaci Mielke just missed wide of the net in the 14th minute for the Huskies, but would later get the only goal of the night. Following a shot on goal by junior midfielder Kat Farkas in the 17th minute, Mielke found the ball on her foot just a few minutes later in the middle of the field. Seeing an opening in the Ferris St. defense, Mielke weaved her way past the defenders and fired what would be the game winning kick at the top of the box into the back of the net. It was her third goal of the season and the second game winner for Mielke in the 2016 campaign.

From there, the Michigan Tech (5-1, 1-0 GLIAC) defense settled in and slowed down the Bulldogs the rest of the way. The battle tested Huskies have been accustomed to low scoring games all season and this one would be no different.

Ferris St. goalie Nyla Peterkin made three saves in the second half to keep the Bulldogs within striking distance and Hudak stopped one attempt by the Bulldogs in the final 45 minutes. Ferris State's best chance to tie the contest came in the 84th minute when a long free kick by Rachel Fouts nearly made its way into the net. The ball curved just enough to strike the right post and bounced to Romine who just missed wide to the left off the rebound. The Huskies were then able to clear the ball and hang on for the win.

Mielke paced the Tech offense with four shots and the only goal of the night. She now has a team high three goals and eight points on the season. Freshman midfielder Jaime Brisson and senior defender Jessica Splittgerber had two shots each. As a team, the Huskies were edged in total shots 12-11 and corner kicks 4-1.

Hudak played all 90 minutes in net and earned her fifth win and third shutout of the 2016 campaign. Hudak ended the night with four total saves and goes into Sunday's match against Grand Valley State with 27.

Fouts led all players for the Bulldogs with seven shots followed by Brandi Wagner and Romine with two apiece. Peterkin logged 90 minutes in front of the net for Ferris St. and recorded five saves.

Michigan Tech will be back on the pitch Sunday at Noon when the team hosts top ranked Grand Valley State at Sherman Field. The Lakers defeated Northern Michigan 3-0 Friday in their GLIAC opener.

"Right now we are going to work on the recovery part as Sunday comes around real fast," Coach Jacob added. "Grand Valley is a very good team that moves the ball quickly and it's going to be our job out there to stop them and get some momentum going forward."