Surrounded by trees on Michigan Tech’s beautiful campus, Sherman Field is arguably the most scenic football and soccer venue in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
The Huskies, who played football at Hubbell Field from 1920 to 1980, moved to their current home in 1981. The facility, originally named MTU Stadium, took on its current name in a dedication ceremony held October 1, 1988, when the Huskies hosted Northwood University. Featuring a seating capacity of 3,000, Sherman Field has undergone significant changes over the years.
The installation of a synthetic playing surface from ProGrass, LLC, in 2008 dramatically improved the look of the stadium. Lights were also installed as part of the first phase of a stadium renovation project that will eventually include new seating, press box and fieldhouse facilities.
The women's soccer program started in 2010 and has called Sherman Field home with games typically on Friday evening and Sunday afternoon.
A new Daktronics scoreboard was erected at the south end of the field prior to the 2005 season. In 2004, construction was completed on a pavilion located off the southwest corner of the field that serves as a site for game-day tailgating activity and other events. The current pressbox, concession facility and restrooms were completed in 1989.
The field is named in honor of the late Donald P. Sherman, a former athletic director and coach at Michigan Tech. Sherman first arrived in 1929 at what was then known as the Michigan College of Mining and Technology. His first duties involved serving as the basketball coach and assistant athletic director. Sherman became athletic director in 1936 and was made a full professor of economics in 1943. Besides strengthening the four major varsity sports (hockey, football, basketball, and track), he also added three other sports (boxing, tennis, and skiing) to the Huskies’ athletic program. Sherman was also credited with initiating and developing Michigan Tech’s first intramural sports program. His untimely death in 1946 from a heart attack after playing handball came as a great shock to the school and local community.
Sherman Field’s largest crowd came on the first-ever night football game on September 29, 2012 against Grand Valley State. The 4,684 fans set a new Sherman Field record and also a record for the largest crowd at a home Michigan Tech sporting event. Sherman Field is currently undergoing a renovation project, with the next phase including a new concession area and press box. For more information on this renovation, click here.
Kinesiology and Integrative Physiology classes, intramural games, student organizations, high school football games and youth soccer games are also played on Sherman Field.
Directions to Sherman Field
From the South/East: Enter Houghton via US 41. Turn left (south) at the first stoplight (MacInnes Drive). Continue on MacInnes Drive past the Student Development Complex. Stadium on right. Main event parking is in Lot 24 (before stadium).
From the West: Enter Houghton via M26. Turn right on Sharon Avenue. Go 1.5 miles. Stadium on left. Main event parking is in Lot 24 (past stadium).