|No. 5 MICHIGAN TECH at ALABAMA HUNTSVILLE|
|Dates||Friday-Saturday, Nov. 28-29, 2014|
|Times||8:07 p.m. | 8:07 p.m.|
|Location||Huntsville, Ala. | Von Braun Center|
|Radio||Mix 93.5 FM WKMJ (Dirk Hembroff)|
|Game Notes||Michigan Tech | Alabama Huntsville|
|Tech's Record||10-2-0 | 8-2-0 WCHA|
|UAH's Record||3-9-2 | 2-6-0 WCHA|
THIS WEEKEND'S NOTES
Michigan Tech will make its first-ever trip to Alabama Huntsville this weekend for a WCHA series against the Chargers. The puck drops at 8:07 p.m. Eastern each night at the Von Braun Center.
THIS WEEK'S RANKING
• Michigan Tech is ranked No. 5 this week in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Poll and No. 6 in the USCHO.com Top 20 Poll. Tech received one first place vote in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Poll.
• The Huskies entered the polls at No. 17 on Oct. 27. They were ranked No. 9 on Nov. 3, No. 5 on Nov. 10 and No. 1 last week.
DOUBLE DIGIT WINS
Tech (10-2-0, 8-2-0 WCHA) is one of three teams in college hockey with 10 wins. Bowling Green State is 10-3-1 while Miami is 10-4-0.
• Alex Petan has scored a goal in five straight games and leads the Huskies with seven goals. He also has five assists and is second on the team with 12 points. Petan ranks second in the nation with three game winning goals.
• Alabama Huntsville is 3-9-2 overall and 2-6-0 in the WCHA. The Chargers are tied for seventh in the WCHA standings. Last weekend, they split at Ferris State, winning 3-2 Friday before falling 5-2 Saturday. Other wins this season are over Air Force (Nov. 7) and Lake Superior State (Nov. 15).
• Max McHugh (3-4=7) leads the team offensively while four other players have six points. Goaltender Carmine Guerriero is 3-5-1 with a 2.43 goals against average. He ranks fifth in the WCHA and 12th in the nation with a 93.3 save percentage.
• Mike Corbett is in his second season as the head coach of Alabama Huntsville. The Chargers were 2-35-1 in 2013-14. Before UAH, he spent 10 years as an assistant at Air Force, including serving as the team's associate head coach in the 2012-13 season.
• Following its victory at Ferris State last Friday, UAH had its first two-game winning streak since winning the CHA Tournament March 12-13, 2010. After an 0-7-1 start, the Chargers are 3-2-1 over the last three weekends and have now surpassed their victory total from last year.
The two teams met for the first time during last season's Winter Carnival series. The Huskies won 4-1 Friday and 10-4 Saturday.
AGAINST THE CHARGERS
Nine different players scored Tech's 14 goals against the Chargers last season. Blake Pietila scored twice each night. Tanner Kero had two goals Friday and Malcolm Gould had two goals Saturday. Also scoring Saturday were Reid Sturos, Dennis Rix, David Johnstone, CJ Eick, Max Vallis and Mike Neville.
NOTES FROM LAST WEEKEND
• Tech had its 10-game winning streak and 5-game home winning streak snapped with a pair of losses to Minnesota State over the weekend.
• Tech had its best start in the 94th season of the program. Last year, the Huskies didn't win their 10th game until game number 30 on Feb. 1.
• The two teams meet again in Mankato at the end of February.
WHERE TECH RANKS IN THE NATION
• Second in scoring defense (1.42)
• Third in penalty kill (95.3 percent)
• Fourth in scoring margin (1.67)
• Eighth in power play (22.4 percent)
• Matt Roy is second with 35 blocked shots
• Cliff Watson ranks seventh with 31 blocks
• Jamie Phillips is third with a 1.42 goals against average and fifth with a .950 save percentage.
• Tyler Heinonen and David Johnstone rank seventh in power play goals with three each.
Mel Pearson is in his fourth season as Michigan Tech's head hockey coach in 2014-15. His record with the Huskies is 53-60-15. He was named WCHA Coach of the Year in his inaugural campaign in 2011-12 and has guided the Huskies to their best three-season stretch in the last 20 years with 43 wins.
A FAMILY AFFAIR
It's the fourth year in a row Michigan Tech has a pair of brothers on the team. When senior Blake Pietila was a freshman, his brother Chad was on the team. David Johnstone and brother Jacob played three years together from 2011-12 to 2013-14. This season, senior Tanner Kero is playing alongside freshman goaltender Devin Kero.
Senior forwards Blake Pietila and Tanner Kero were voted as captains by their teammates. Pietila was a captain last season while Kero was an assistant captain. This year's assistant captains are junior forward Alex Petan and sophomore defenseman Cliff Watson.
Michigan Tech was selected third in the Mankato Free Press Coaches' Poll and fourth in the Bemidji Pioneer Media Poll. Minnesota State, the defending Broadmoor Trophy champion, was tabbed as the favorite to win the MacNaughton Cup in both polls.
Shane Hanna was named to the Preseason All-WCHA Teams as a defenseman in the media poll. David Johnstone, Tanner Kero, Alex Petan, and Blake Pietila all received votes at the forward position.
Michigan Tech's non-conference schedule consists of five—possibly six with the GLI—games against teams from the Big Ten conference and a team from the NCHC. The Huskies swept Michigan in the home opening series (Oct. 31-Nov. 1). Tech welcomes Minnesota Duluth to the John MacInnes Student Ice Area on Dec. 12-13. The opening game of the 50th GLI is again against Michigan. The final non-conference series is Jan. 2-3 at Wisconsin.
ON THE RADIO
Mix 93.5 WKMJ broadcasts all Michigan Tech hockey games. Dirk Hembroff will call all the action in his 13th year behind the microphone. You can also listen to the game online at Pasty.com.
MEL PEARSON SHOW
The Mel Pearson Show can be heard every Monday morning at 10 a.m. on Mix 93.5 WKMJ. Host Dirk Hembroff and Coach Pearson talk about the previous weekend and the upcoming matchup. You can also listen live online at Pasty.com or visit MichiganTechHuskies.com for the full audio recording.
NHL DRAFT PICKS
• Senior forward Blake Pietila was drafted by the New Jersey Devils in the fifth round (129th overall selection) of the 2011 NHL Draft.
• Junior goaltender Jamie Phillips was drafted in the 2012 NHL Draft in the seventh round (190th overall) by the Winnipeg Jets.
• Sophomore defenseman Cliff Watson was selected in the sixth round of the 2012 NHL Draft by the San Jose Sharks (168th overall).
• Freshman defenseman Dane Birks was drafted in the sixth round (164th overall) by the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2013 NHL Draft.
The Michigan Tech hockey team is on Facebook and Twitter. You can like the Huskies on Facebook at Facebook.com/michigantechhockey. Follow the Huskies on Twitter at Twitter.com/mtuhky. All hockey games are live tweeted. Join the conversation using the hashtags #FollowTheHuskies and #mtuhky.
This season, fans of the WCHA can watch more than 180 of its games live and in high definition thanks to WCHA.tv. Powered by America ONE Sports and EverSport.tv on WCHA.tv, the platform enables fans to watch all 10 conference teams in action throughout the season. Every league game will be streamed live, along with each team's non-conference home contests, the league's postseason tournament and the WCHA Final Five. With WCHA.tv, fans can follow their team wherever they are. Each game will be available on multiple platforms, including traditional web browsers on PCs, tablets and mobile phones using the iOS and Android platforms.
Tech has next weekend off before hosting Minnesota Duluth at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena on Dec. 12-13 in a non-conference series and the final home games of 2014.
|SINGLE GAME TICKETS||SUITE RENTALS||SCHEDULE||ROSTER||HOCKEY FACEBOOK||HOCKEY TWITTER||WCHA.TV|
LATEST HOCKEY HEADLINES
- 11/26/14 - Tech Hockey: In The News
- 11/25/14 - VIDEO: Follow The Huskies In The Crease: Minnesota State Recap
- 11/24/14 - The Mel Pearson Show
- 11/24/14 - Huskies Ranked Fifth in USA Today Poll, Sixth in USCHO Poll
- 11/22/14 - Mavericks Defeat Huskies Saturday
- 11/21/14 - Tech Streak Ends With 2-1 Loss to Minnesota State
- 11/19/14 - Where Are They Now – John Grisdale
- 11/18/14 - VIDEO: Follow The Huskies In The Crease: Bemidji State Recap
- 11/17/14 - Number 1! Tech Hockey is Top-Ranked Team in the Nation
- 11/16/14 - Ticket Deal For Undefeated Hockey Huskies
- 11/15/14 - Only Undefeated Left; Huskies 10-0 After Sweep of Bemidji State
- 11/14/14 - Huskies 9-0 For First Time In School History
- 11/11/14 - VIDEO: A Tech Hockey Veteran's Day Salute
- 11/11/14 - Tech Athletics Mourns Loss of Al Renfrew
- 11/11/14 - VIDEO: Follow The Huskies In The Crease: UAA Recap
- 11/10/14 - Huskies Ranked No. 5 This Week
- 11/08/14 - Huskies Sweep Alaska Anchorage To Improve To 8-0
- 11/07/14 - Huskies Win Seventh Straight With Shutout Of Seawolves