Huskies Tie Falcons Saturday; BGSU Wins Shootout

HOUGHTON, Mich. – No. 20 Michigan Tech and Bowling Green skated to a 2-2 tie Saturday (Nov. 4) night at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena. The Falcons picked up the extra WCHA point with a sixth-round shootout win after the 5-on-5 and 3-on-3 overtimes.

"Bowling Green is a hard team to play against," Tech coach Joe Shawhan said. "They are a team that makes you better. If you don't show up and compete it's going to be a frustrating night.

"We battled hard in the third period and got a timely goal. I just wish for the confidence level of the group that we would've got the extra point tonight, obviously."

Similar to last night's game, the Huskies took an early lead on a power play goal and then fell behind after a pair of goals by the Falcons on the man advantage.

This time, the Huskies responded with a late goal by Gavin Gould to send it to overtime. Mitch Reinke took a blast after a feed from Mark Auk and Gould tipped it out front for his fifth of the season with 5:04 left in regulation.

Jake Jackson had a chance for the game winner with less than a minute left in the third, but he couldn't settle a bouncing puck.

Joel L'Esperance made a couple great plays in the 3-on-3 overtime. He had a spinning backhand pass to Mark Auk streaking to the net but the shot was saved by Bowling Green goaltender Ryan Bednard.

Moments later Gould found L'Esperance alone in front of the net but the puck was pokechecked away by Bednard.

Reinke also had a drive to the net with 10 seconds left that went over the crossbar.

Devin Kero made saves on the first four BG shooters in the shootout with the fifth hitting the post. Jake Lucchini, Reinke, and Auk all missed their chances and Bednard made big saves on Thomas Beretta and Justin Misiak. Stephen Baylis scored the shootout winner.

Keegan Ford opened the game's scoring for his first as a Husky 13:43 into the game. He wristed in a long shot from the blue line with Dane Birks picking up the lone assist.

BGSU (4-3-2, 3-1-2-1 WCHA) tied it up 6:00 later when Cameron Wright tipped in a shot by Baylis.

The Falcons took the lead 12:13 into the second on a goal by Mitch McLain 12 seconds into a 5:00 power play. McLain cleaned up a rebound after a shot by Alec Rauhauser.

Tech (4-5-2, 2-4-2-1 WCHA) outshot BGSU 29-26 in the game. Kero finished with 24 saves, stopping eight shots in the first and seven in each of the second two periods. Bednard had 27 saves.

Both teams were whistled for six penalties. Tech was 1-for-5 on the power play and 5-for-7 on the penalty kill.

The two teams will meet again on February 2-3 in Ohio. Next weekend, Tech hosts Northern Michigan Friday (Nov. 10) and travels to Marquette Saturday (Nov. 11).

Next weekend is Military Appreciation Weekend as the Huskies will recognize two Wounded Warriors and all veterans in attendance Friday. Tech will wear special camouflage jerseys that will be auctioned off to benefit the Copper Country Veteran's Association.