Reitmeier scores in OT for WCHA split with Chargers

HOUGHTON, Mich. – Michigan Tech earned a WCHA split with Alabama Huntsville Saturday (Dec. 15) after a 2-1 overtime win at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena. Greyson Reitmeier scored 1:11 into the extra session to put the Huskies back at the top of the WCHA standings heading into the holiday break.

"I saw a repeat of last night for two periods, but I really like that we are able to find a way to win tonight," Tech coach Joe Shawhan said. "We still have to get ourselves back together and focus on our attention to detail. It's going to be a really interesting second half of the season."

The game was feeling a lot like Friday when the visitors scored early and UAH goaltender Mark Sinclair stood on his head while the Huskies dominated in shots and kept ringing the puck off the post.

Tech (10-7-1, 9-2-1-1 WCHA) wouldn't be denied two nights in a row. Tommy Parrottino finally tied the game up 3:15 into the third on the power play. Colin Swoyer fed a pass from behind the net to Parrottino in the slot for the one-timer. Reitmeier added the secondary assist on Parrottino's sixth of the season and fourth on the man advantage.

"It was a huge thing for momentum to get that first goal," Reitmeier said. "We obviously hadn't scored on him yet all weekend, and that was huge for us mentally knowing we could score on him. I think the guys rallied around that, and it changed the game for sure."

Alec Broetzman setup the game-winner, creating a turnover in the offensive zone after Tyler Rockwell kept the puck in at the blue line. Reitmeier tipped in Broetzman's sharp-angled shot for his fifth goal of the season 71 seconds into overtime.

"I just tried to get in front of the net," added Reitmeier. "Botz made a good play from the wall and just threw it on net. I tried to get my stick on it, and it took a fortunate bounce and went in.

"It was a great feeling. We needed to have a good response after last night."

UAH (3-15-0, 3-9-0-0 WCHA) opened scoring 9:39 into the game when Jack Jeffers deflected a shot by Bauer Neudecker that just found its way over Robbie Beydoun's arm.

Like the night before, the Huskies dominated in shots on goal, hitting the net 37 times to the Chargers 15. Reitmeier, Broetzman, and Alex Smith all hit the pipe behind Sinclair.

Sinclair stopped 35 shots. He made an acrobatic save on a bouncing puck after Lucchini dumped it in from the red line during the second period. The puck got over the back of Sinclair who had to spin and keep it out.

Robbie Beydoun had 14 saves for the Huskies in his third straight start. He has stopped 72-of-75 shots this season, holding a .960 save percentage and 0.78 goals against average through five games.

Beydoun's biggest save of the night came moments before Parrottino's equalizer when he stoned Hans Gorowsky on a shorthanded breakaway.

Tech was 1-for-4 on the power play and 3-for-3 on the penalty kill as the teams combined for nine minor penalties.

No. 12 Bowling Green swept No. 3 Minnesota State in Ohio over the weekend to help the Huskies get back on top of the WCHA.

The Huskies are off until the 54th annual Great Lakes Invitational on December 30-31 at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit. The Huskies will open against the University of Michigan in the first semifinal. Michigan State and Lake Superior State will play in the second game.