BIG RAPIDS, Mich. – The Michigan Tech men's tennis team suffered a 9-0 loss to Ferris State Saturday in a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference match on the road. The contest was the second of three this weekend for the Huskies who opened the conference schedule on Friday at Grand Valley State.
Michigan Tech's (0-6, 0-2 GLIAC) strongest performances were in doubles competition on Saturday. The Huskies were unable to secure points, but were within striking distance in the No. 1 and No. 3 spots in the lineup. Juan Felipe Chica teamed up with Illiya Chibirev in No.3 doubles and competed hard against Pablo Munoz Baroja and Mathis Guerre. Unfortunately, Ferris State's (11-2, 1-0 GLIAC) duo prevailed 8-5.
Mario Neto and Ignacio Carbajosa also battled in No. 1 doubles, but couldn't keep pace late, falling by a final of 8-4. The Bulldogs used the momentum from three victories in doubles to sweep all six points in the singles sets to pull away for the win.
The Huskies will wrap up the road trip on Sunday morning when they travel to Northwood for another GLIAC match. The first serve is slated for 11 a.m.
Ferris State 9, Michigan Tech 0
Mar 24, 2018 at Big Rapids, Mich.
1. Steward Sell (FSU) def. Mario Neto (MTUM) 6-0, 6-1
2. Ramdani Iswan (FSU) def. Nico Caviglia (MTUM) 6-0, 6-0
3. Daniil Tarantinov (FSU) def. Ignacio Carbajosa (MTUM) 6-0, 6-0
4. Austin Debruyne (FSU) def. Simon Xiong (MTUM) 6-1, 6-0
5. Mathis Guerre (FSU) def. Juan Felipe Chica (MTUM) 6-0, 6-1
6. Pablo Munoz Baroja (FSU) def. Illiya Chibirev (MTUM) 6-2, 6-0
1. Steward Sell/Ramdani Iswan (FSU) def. Mario Neto/Ignacio Carbajosa (MTUM) 8-4
2. Daniil Tarantinov/Austin Debruyne (FSU) def. Simon Xiong/Nico Caviglia (MTUM) 8-2
3. Pablo Munoz Baroja/Mathis Guerre (FSU) def. Juan Felipe Chica/Illiya Chibirev (MTUM) 8-5
Michigan Tech 0-6
Ferris State 11-2