HOUGHTON, Mich. – The Michigan Tech men's tennis team fell to Davenport University 9-0 on Sunday in a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference match at the Gates Tennis Center. The Huskies opened the home weekend on Saturday against Purdue Northwest with Sunday's contest being the third consecutive home match.
"I was really proud of our effort again today and credit Davenport who is a very good team," Michigan Tech Head Coach Kevin Kalinec said. "We played better in singles across the board today and our guys battled hard one throughout the lineup. Our second sets in singles matches were strong and we'll look to build on that next weekend at Tiffin and Wayne State."
Michigan Tech (0-10, 0-6 GLIAC) fell behind in doubles Sunday with Davenport (11-5, 5-1 GLIAC) taking all three points to start the match. Juan Felipe Chica and Illiya Chibirev teamed up in the No.3 spot and gave Remy Johansen and Max Hartman a solid battle before falling 8-4.
Mario Neto played well again in singles for the Huskies in the No. 1 spot, but unfortunately came up just a bit short against the Panthers' top player Marc Lerch. Neto jumped out to the advantage with a 6-4 win in set one before Lerch rallied with a 6-2 win in the second set. The contest went to a third and deciding set with each player trading points until Lerch managed to pull away at the very end.
Chibirev played well in the No. 6 spot on Sunday against Davenport's Max Hartman. Chibirev and Hartman went back and forth in set one which eventually progressed into a tiebreaker. Hartman was able to slip past 7-6 (8-6) in set one before going on to claim a 6-2 win in the second set. Nico Caviglia, Ignacio Carbajosa, Simon Xiong, and Juan Felipe Chica also made some solid plays especially in the second sets of their respective singles matches on Sunday.
The Huskies will close the regular season next weekend when they travel to Tiffin University and Wayne State for two more GLIAC contests. Tech takes on Tiffin at 2 p.m. Friday before heading to Wayne State on Saturday for another 2 p.m. match.
Davenport 9, Michigan Tech 0
Apr 08, 2018 at Houghton, Mich. (Gates Tennis Center)
1. Marc Lerch (DU) def. Mario Neto (MTUM) 4-6, 6-2, 10-7
2. J.L. Van Antwerpen (DU) def. Nico Caviglia (MTUM) 6-1, 6-4
3. Matthew McClurg (DU) def. Ignacio Carbajosa (MTUM) 6-1, 6-4
4. Jonathan Bulmer (DU) def. Simon Xiong (MTUM) 6-0, 6-2
5. Michael Digby (DU) def. Juan Felipe Chica (MTUM) 6-0, 6-4
6. Max Hartman (DU) def. Illiya Chibirev (MTUM) 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
1. Marc Lerch/J.L. Van Antwerpen (DU) def. Mario Neto/Ignacio Carbajosa (MTUM) 8-3
2. Jonathan Bulmer/Matthew McClurg (DU) def. Nico Caviglia/Simon Xiong (MTUM) 8-2
3. Remy Johansen/Max Hartman (DU) def. Juan Felipe Chica/Illiya Chibirev (MTUM) 8-4
Davenport 11-5, 5-1 GLIAC
Michigan Tech 0-10, 0-6 GLIAC