TIFFIN, Ohio – The Michigan Tech men's tennis team fell in a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference match at Tiffin Friday afternoon 8-1. The contest was the first of two GLIAC matchups this weekend for the Huskies.
Michigan Tech (0-11, 0-7 GLIAC) battled hard through doubles, but Tiffin (10-12, 2-5 GLIAC) was able to secure all three points to open the match. Mario Neto and Ignacio Carbajosa were the No. 1 team in the lineup for the Huskies Friday and kept pace with Luis Ludena and Elio Lezama Perez until the end. The Dragons duo pulled away late for an 8-4 win in that spot in the lineup before claiming points in No.2 and No. 3 doubles with identical scores of 8-2.
The majority of the singles contests were tightly contested with Tech's Nico Caviglia challenging Santiago de la Rosa in the No. 2 spot. Caviglia gave de la Rosa all he could handle in a 7-5, 6-3 loss. Juan Felipe Chica competed hard in the No. 5 singles position against Tom Arias before falling 6-3, 6-3. Simon Xiong notched the point for the Huskies in No.4 singles when he jumped ahead 3-1 in the first set against Toby Cutting. Cutting had to retire with Xiong in front.
The Huskies will be back in action on Saturday when they close the regular season at Wayne State. The first serve is slated for 2 p.m.
Tiffin University 8, Michigan Tech 1
Apr 13, 2018 at Tiffin, Ohio
1. Luis Ludena (TU) def. Mario Neto (MTUM), by default
2. Santiago de la Rosa (TU) def. Nico Caviglia (MTUM) 7-5, 6-3
3. Nikita Parfenov (TU) def. Ignacio Carbajosa (MTUM) 6-2, 6-2
4. Simon Xiong (MTUM) def. Toby Cutting (TU) 3-1, retired
5. Tom Arias (TU) def. Juan Felipe Chica (MTUM) 6-3, 6-3
6. Austin Mohamedali (TU) def. Illiya Chibirev (MTUM) 6-1, 6-2
1. Luis Ludena/Elio Lezama Perez (TU) def. Mario Neto/Ignacio Carbajosa (MTUM) 8-4
2. Nikita Parfenov/Sorin Navrotchi (TU) def. Juan Felipe Chica/Nico Caviglia (MTUM) 8-2
3. Hugo Chatras/Austin Mohamedali (TU) def. Illiya Chibirev/Simon Xiong (MTUM) 8-2
Michigan Tech 0-11, 0-7 GLIAC
Tiffin University 10-12, 2-5 GLIAC