DETROIT, Mich. – The Michigan Tech men's tennis team fell in a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference match on the road at Wayne State University 9-0 Saturday afternoon. The Huskies opened the two match road trip on Friday afternoon at Tiffin University.
Wayne State (12-10, 5-2 GLIAC) jumped in front 3-0 through doubles competition with quick starts in the each of the three contests. The Warriors were able to prevail with final scores of 8-2 in No.1 and No. 2 doubles followed by an 8-1 triumph in No.3 doubles.
Michigan Tech (0-12, 0-8 GLIAC) battled hard in singles, but were unable to pull through for points. Senior Illiya Chibirev had a solid singles match in the No.5 spot on Saturday against Harvey Reed of Wayne State. Reed though was able to pull away late in each set with final scores of 6-2, 6-4 in his favor.
The full results are below or can be viewed by clicking on the box score link above.
Wayne State 9, Michigan Tech 0
Apr 14, 2018 at Clinton Twp., Mich. (Peachtree Tennis Club)
1. Mats Westkamp (WSM) def. Nico Caviglia (MTUM) 6-0, 6-0
2. Niklas Karcz (WSM) def. Ignacio Carbajosa (MTUM) 6-0, 6-2
3. Taylor Vane (WSM) def. Simon Xiong (MTUM) 6-0, 6-1
4. Griffin Mertz (WSM) def. Juan Felipe Chica (MTUM) 6-0, 6-1
5. Harvey Reed (WSM) def. Illiya Chibirev (MTUM) 6-2, 6-4
6. Derek Sammons (WSM) def. No player (MTUM), by default
1. Mats Westkamp/Niklas Karcz (WSM) def. Mario Neto/Ignacio Carbajosa (MTUM) 8-2
2. Taylor Vane/Griffin Mertz (WSM) def. Juan Felipe Chica/Nico Caviglia (MTUM) 8-2
3. Harvey Reed/Derek Sammons (WSM) def. Simon Xiong/Illiya Chibirev (MTUM) 8-1
Michigan Tech 0-12, 0-8
Wayne State 12-10, 5-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,3,1,5,2)