No events to show.

Women's Soccer

Two NCAA Appearances 2012 GLIAC Championship

Huskies and Walsh Play to a 0-0 Draw Sunday

Huskies and Walsh Play to a 0-0 Draw Sunday

CANTON, Ohio – The Michigan Tech soccer team closed the final regular season road trip of 2016 on Sunday afternoon with a 0-0 double overtime draw at Walsh University. For the Huskies, it was their second tie of the season after battling Ohio Dominican to a 0-0 tie early this year at Sherman Field. Tech maintained sole possession of second place in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference standings with Ashland University falling to Northwood 2-1 in double overtime.

"We were a little off today and I think the heat once again took a lot out of us," Michigan Tech Head Coach Michelle Jacob said. "We were just a bit off on our passes and although we created some decent opportunities, we had trouble finishing them. Walsh played a tough game and we did well to minimize any quality chances they had to score."

Michigan Tech (9-2-2, 5-1-2 GLIAC) had the first of what would be limited scoring chances for both sides on Sunday. Senior Jessica Splittgerber had the first crack at the net in the ninth minute, but a save by goalie Dani Stambaugh kept the Huskies from grabbing an early lead.

Walsh (7-4-3, 3-3-2 GLIAC) quickly went on the counter attack and Tech goalie Kirsen Hudak shifted in front of a blast by Olivia Peters to make the first of four saves on the afternoon. The Cavaliers nearly took the lead in the 17th minute when an attempt by Alisha Himes deflected off the crossbar followed by a rebound shot from Sarah Berger that sailed high of the net.

Later in the half, the Huskies pressured the Cavaliers defense and another Splittgerber shot had to be turned away by Shambaugh. Tech had three more attempts before the intermission from freshman Alex Vasile, Splittgerber, and senior Megan Armstrong that were just off target.

The Huskies controlled the tempo in the second half with a 7-2 advantage in total shots. Senior Jaci Mielke and sophomore Andrea Zubke had three of the better opportunities to put the Huskies in front in the second period. Mielke missed just wide right on a header attempt in the 60th minute before a shot by Zubke hit the post in the 80th minute. Zubke forced Shambaugh to make another save with time winding down in the 88th minute to keep it a scoreless match. Hudak successfully stopped the only shot on goal in the second half by Walsh which came off the foot of Alisha Himes in the 61st minute.

In the opening minute of overtime, Hudak who is the reigning GLIAC Defensive Player of the Week, picked up another big save on a Coryanne Swift shot attempt. Junior Taylor Archibald had the only shot on goal for the Huskies in the first overtime period and it was saved by Shambaugh.

With the contest still deadlocked at 0-0, the teams headed into the second overtime frame with scoring chances limited for both Walsh and Tech. Olivia Peters pushed an attempt wide in the 106th minute for the Cavaliers and Mielke would collected the final shot on goal of the afternoon in the 109th minute for the Huskies. Unfortunately, another save by Shambaugh would be recorded. Junior Kathryn Farkas had a rebound strike elevate high of the net a few seconds later and two corner kicks by the Huskies in the final minute didn't materialize into any scoring opportunities before the horn sounded.

Mielke had a match high five shots to guide the Tech offense followed by four attempts from Splittgerber and three shots by Farkas. The Huskies out-shot Walsh 18-10 and had the advantage in corner kicks 9-2. Hudak played all 110 minutes in net, making four saves to log her seventh shutout of the 2016 campaign.

Peters had three shots to pace the Cavaliers attack and Shambaugh would close the afternoon with five saves and add a shutout to her goalie record.

The Huskies will return to Houghton on Friday to host Ashland who is currently in third place in the GLIAC standings. Tech will then entertain Tiffin University Sunday afternoon at Sherman Field. Friday's kickoff is scheduled for 5 p.m. and Sunday's match will get underway at Noon.