No events to show.

Women's Soccer

Two NCAA Appearances 2012 GLIAC Championship

Huskies Suffer 2-1 Overtime Loss to Tiffin

HOUGHTON, Mich. – The Michigan Tech soccer team lost a tough Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference match 2-1 in overtime against Tiffin Sunday afternoon at Sherman Field. The Huskies rallied to tie the match in the 71st minute after the Dragons had taken a 1-0 lead. Tiffin got the game winning goal just over four minutes into the extra frame.

"It was a disappointing way to end the game," Michigan Tech Head Coach Michelle Jacob said. "I thought we had a lot of good opportunities that were right there, but we just couldn't finish them. We have to make the most of those chances when we get them. We had a lot of good shots on goal and it's hard to walk away knowing we weren't able to put more goals on the board. We have to try and focus on all the good things that did happen, build on those, and look ahead to the next one."

Michigan Tech (5-7-1, 2-4-1 GLIAC) put together a solid attack in the first half and forced Tiffin goalie Samantha Ortenzi to make five saves in the opening 45 minutes. Freshman Jesse Jacobusse was the first to test Ortenzi when she launched a shot on goal in the 16th minute. The Huskies were also able to setup a number of plays on corner kicks in the first half, holding an 8-0 advantage in that department as well in the opening period.

Tech's defense was also challenged in the first half by Tiffin (5-8-1, 4-3-0 GLIAC) who pushed into the attacking third, forcing freshman goalie Amanda Young to make three saves. The first of the three was fired by Adrianna Currie in the 25th minute with additional stops by Young in the 31st and 39th minutes.

Neither team cracked the scoreboard in the first half so it remained 0-0 going into period number two on Sunday. In the 56th minute, the Dragons would break the deadlock when Currie connected on her seventh goal of the 2017 season. She faked right and cut back to the left and found an open spot in the upper left corner of the goal for a 1-0 Tiffin lead.

The Huskies had a couple of chances to tie it during the next few minutes, but finally did in the 71st minute on a blast by senior Taylor Archibald. Freshman Brooke Schauer played the ball up through the middle of the field, delivering a perfect pass to Archibald who had a clean look at the net. She fired the ball past the keeper into the upper left corner of the net for her second goal of the season. Schauer was credited with her first career assist.

Michigan Tech came close to taking the lead in the 81st minute when freshmen Emily Zeitunian had strike glance off the crossbar followed late in the second by shots on goal from Zeitunian, sophomore Katri Studtmann, Archibald, and junior Marisa Demario. However, the second half horn sounded with the score still locked at 1-1.

The Huskies generated the first shot on goal of the overtime period in the 92nd minute when DeMario challenged Ortenzi, who came up with her 12th save of the match on the play. That left the door open for the Dragons who got the game winner with 5:48 left on the clock in overtime. Currie fed the ball to Taylor Lewis who got behind the defense and then chipped the ball up in the air and into the net for the game deciding goal.

DeMario paced Tech with a team high four shots, with all four being on goal. She was followed by Archibald with three shots, including the goal in the second half. In addition, Zeitunian and Schauer each produced three shots. The Huskies had a 20-16 edge in total shots and an 11-4 advantage in corner kicks Sunday afternoon. Young played all 94:12 in front of the net and made six saves.

Svetlana Gudenkova took a match high five shots for Tiffin followed by Currie with three shots, including a goal and an assist. Lewis had two shots and the other Dragon goal on Sunday. Ortenzi earned the win in net, playing all 94:12 with 12 saves added to her season totals.

The Huskies will be back at Sherman Field on Friday afternoon when they host Grand Valley State in a GLIAC match at 4 p.m.