No events to show.

Women's Soccer

Two NCAA Appearances 2012 GLIAC Championship

Huskies Fall to Ferris State Sunday Afternoon

HOUGHTON, Mich. – The Michigan Tech soccer team fell in the final Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference match of the season 1-0 to Ferris State Sunday afternoon at Sherman Field. The Huskies will close the regular season on Friday in a non-conference match against Northern Michigan at home on Senior Day.

"It was a good battle and unfortunately to lose on a penalty kick hurts," Michigan Tech Head Coach Michelle Jacob said. "We started to put numbers forward in the second half to get a goal, but were unable to get on the board. Credit to Ferris State for managing the game well in the last 10 minutes and we struggled against their defense to get it forward for one last opportunity. Overall, I thought we played pretty well, but we need to continue to take care of the ball and get numbers forward when we can."

Both teams were aggressive on offense to start the game with Ferris State (10-7, 6-3 GLIAC) getting a shot on goal away in the fourth minute off the foot of Carley Dubbert. Senior goalie Kirsen Hudak was there to make the save and then Michigan Tech (5-9-1, 2-6-1 GLIAC) quickly countered to generate a scoring chance. Freshman Leah Goldman challenged Ferris State goalie Alison Chesterfield who moved up from the net to defend the play. Chesterfield was just able to deflect the shot and keep it from going past her.

Freshman Emily Zeitunian had a strike go just high in the fifth minute and in the 16th minute Goldman lifted a blast just high of the crossbar. The Huskies kept up the offensive pace with freshman Brooke Schauer forcing Chesterfield to make another save in the 18th minute followed by another shot on goal by senior Taylor Archibald in the 28th minute.

Meanwhile, Hudak and the Tech defense continued to thwart the forward attack by the Bulldogs through the remainder of the half. Hudak ended the first 45 minutes with five saves in Sunday's match, including stopping a potential goal on a ball that was delivered by Morgan Irwin.

With the score deadlocked at 0-0 through the first period, the Huskies continued to move players forward on offense and got a quick shot on goal from junior Andrea Zubke in the 48th minute. Shortly thereafter Hudak made two more saves for Tech as both teams exchanged shots without finding the back of the net.

In the 68th minute, the Bulldogs would pick up the only goal of Sunday's contest. Ferris State moved the ball into the attacking third and on a shot from the far side of the field, a hand ball foul was called on the Huskies in the box. That setup a penalty kick opportunity for Ferris State and Bri Rogers was able to make good on the attempt, giving the Bulldogs a 1-0 edge.

Hudak made an additional 10 saves in the second half to keep the Huskies in striking distance, but with the defense of Ferris State playing back after the goal it made it difficult to get further scoring opportunities.

Goldman paced the Huskies' offense with three shots on Sunday followed by Schauer and Zubke with two shots apiece. Hudak played all 90 minutes in front of the net where she made a season and career high 15 saves.

Dubbert took a match high seven shots for Ferris State, with six being on goal. Tia Vansuilichem attempted four shots while Rogers took two shots and had the only goal. The Bulldogs outshot Tech 23-10 and had a 5-2 edge in corner kicks. Chesterfield picked up her first win in goal, playing all 90 minutes with four saves.

The Huskies will battle Northern Michigan on Friday afternoon at Sherman Field for Senior Day in what will be a non-conference match. Tech defeated the Wildcats 1-0 in the first meeting of the season between the two teams in Marquette October 8th. Both the Huskies and Wildcats have qualified for the upcoming GLIAC Tournament. Tech will be the No. 8 seed and travel to Grand Valley State on Tuesday October 31st.

Friday's kickoff against Northern Michigan is slated for 5 p.m.