No events to show.

Women's Soccer

Two NCAA Appearances 2012 GLIAC Championship

Huskies Edge Parkside 1-0 Friday Afternoon

Huskies Edge Parkside 1-0 Friday Afternoon

KENOSHA, Wis. – The Michigan Tech soccer team played solid defense and earned a timely second half goal on the way to a 1-0 non-conference victory at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside Friday afternoon. The Huskies scored two second half goals in a 2-1 win at Winona State Sunday and with Friday's decision against the Rangers have two consecutive victories.

"We had a very tough game against Parkside and the heat definitely wore on us," Michigan Tech Head Coach Michelle Jacob said. "We stayed strong defensively and Amanda [Young] had an incredible game coming up with some big saves. We were able to string some passes through our midfield to get into the attack and create chances at the goal."

Michigan Tech (3-1-1) tested the defense of Parkside (1-4-1) early when sophomore Brooke Schauer got the first look at the net, forcing goalie Lara Ferrari to make a save to keep it scoreless in the second minute. It wouldn't be long though before sophomore goalkeeper Amanda Young would be called upon to make stops.

Young denied three Parkside blasts in the first 14 minutes, starting with a deflection in the fifth minute on a strike by Chloe Couves. Young then notched a save against Delaney Benich in the 11th minute followed by another on a kick off the foot of Maycee Kroening in the 14th minute. Young would go on to make seven total saves in 90 minutes of work in the match.

The Huskies came close to taking the lead late in the first half when freshman Stephanie Yeager just missed her second goal of the year in the 39th minute. The strike ricocheted off the post and away from the net to keep the scoreboard at 0-0. Then in the 42nd minute, junior Katri Studtmann closed the half offensively with a shot on goal that was turned away by Ferrari.

Young added two more saves to her total in the opening moments of the second half, allowing the Huskies' offensive attack to find a rhythm. Yeager missed just wide left on a shot in the 61st minute followed by a shot on goal from freshman Grace Shaw in the 66th minute. A few seconds later though, Shaw regained possession of the ball at the top of the box and placed a pin point strike past Ferrari and into the back of the net for a 1-0 Tech lead.

The Huskies' defense settled in from there a prevented the Rangers from taking another shot on goal the rest of the match. Tech's offense also kept the ball in the attacking third, keeping the pressure on the Rangers defense. Senior Rachel Wall came close to an insurance goal in the 78th minute with a shot off the post while Ferrari was forced to make two more saves. The Huskies pressure made it difficult for the Rangers to counter, enabling the 1-0 lead to hold up and become the final tally.

Shaw powered Tech's offense with four shots, with one resulting in her team leading third goal of the season. Sophomore Mackenzie Scholz and Yeager each had two looks at the net on Friday afternoon. Young played all 90 minutes in goal for Tech, recording a total of seven saves for her third win and second shutout of the season.

Couves had a match high six shots for Parkside, with three of them being denied by Young. The Rangers had a slight edge in total shots at 14-12 and corner kicks at 5-4. Ferrari suffered the loss in net, recording six saves with the lone goal allowed on Friday.

The Huskies will travel to Purdue Northwest on Sunday afternoon for another non-conference match. The kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. eastern time.